Welcome

Welcome to my Writing blog. If you're interested in my comments about "My Favorite Things," my articles for yourLDSneighborhood.com, and Life in general, click here. For a direct link to my website, click rondahinrichsen.com.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Unpredictable Marie Higgins

My Photo

Please welcome a new friend and author, Marie Higgins. Although I first "met" her through email shortly after she received her first contract with Walnut Springs Press, the first time we spoke face to face was at a Black Friday book signing at Reflections of Utah in Brigham City, Utah. At that time, I learned not only a bit about her as a wife, mother, and employee of a nearby business, but also that she is a very prolific writer. I'm quite amazed by her ability to crank out a novel in a few short months. Or was that weeks?

So, Marie, please tell us about your latest book. Who is your publisher?


My latest book is called, Hearts Through Time. My publisher is Walnut Springs Press. It’ll be released some time in March 2011.



When a beautiful woman claiming to be a ghost from 1912 appears in Nick Marshal’s new office and begs for help in solving her murder, he’s intrigued enough to consider her plea. A scandal that rocked Hollywood almost destroyed his law practice, so taking on a client who insists she’s dead seems a good way to refresh his career. The more history he uncovers, the deeper he falls for the ghost. Abigail Carlisle believes Nick is her heart’s true desire, but how can happily ever after happen when she’s already dead?

Oooh. Sounds interesting. How long have you been a writer?

Funny story about this…I never knew I was a writer, even when I was a writer. lol In junior high, I liked to write poems that were in story form. I even won 2nd place in a contest. When I was a senior in high school, I wrote a skit for my Young Women’s group for camp. We won the award for “Best Written”. A few years later after I married and had my kids, I loved to write skits for my church. They were performed and judged, and I won “Best Written” and “Funniest”. Still, I never thought about being a published writer. lol Secretly, I was writing romance, though. Finally I got brave enough to have someone read it. That’s all it took, and I was encouraged to try my hand at submitting stories. What fun!

What genres do you write?

I’ve been told for years to pick a genre and stick with it until I’m an established writer. For some reason, I can’t do that. My favorite genre is historical (Colonial, Regency, Victorian, the Old West), but I’ve also written romantic comedy, mystery / suspense, paranormal, and recently, I’m trying my hand at YA fantasy. Go figure…

What is your favorite book or who is your favorite author?

My favorite author of all time has to be Kathleen Woodiwiss (although Judith McNaught is a close second). My favorite book has to be A Rose In Winter by Kathleen Woodiwiss, because that was the book I read that made me fall in love with romance.


My blog is about writing, so to help my readers, what is one writing skill you consider to be your best, and how did you develop it?

Oh, this is a hard one. I enjoy fleshing out my characters (so-to-speak) and making them real. I enjoy writing adventure and complicated story lines. I also enjoy ending my chapters with a hook! But I think what I enjoy most of all is figuring out those twists in the story that will shock the reader.

How did I develop it? Hmm…well, I write my stories to lead the readers to believe one thing before I throw in a kink later in the story that is totally opposite. All my twists have a reason, and trying to figure out where in the story to fit this all in is the trick. I don’t ever want to be called one of those authors that write ‘predictable’ stories. Sure, my stories are predictable because my characters will fall in love, have a dark moment (where they break up), and then the story will end with a Happily Ever After. But…it’s how they get to those spots in the book that is NOT predictable. It’s my goal to keep my readers on their toes! I think I’ve accomplished this with my next release, Hearts Through Time. This has a bunch of genres mixed into the plot: contemporary, historical, romantic comedy, suspense, paranormal, and time-travel.

Oh, I happen to think I’m pretty good at teaching 3rd person point of view. I’ve given several workshops on this subject, too.

Great! Now, will you please share your favorite something with us. Something like a favorite recipe, activity, childhood memory, game, etc.

One of my favorite memories is when my husband and I took a trip to South Carolina. We stopped in Charleston for a few days, and I had to take some plantation tours. The first day we were there, we went on a Colonial tour, which was fun, but I wanted plantations!! We grabbed a bunch of flyers and since we were limited on time, I could only pick two. Well, the first one we visited was amazing. As we drove through the grove of trees, something looked vaguely familiar – until I realized the plantation we were visiting was the same one where North and South was filmed (with Patrick Swayze). I was in hog-heaven, let me tell you! I could have cried with happiness. Come to think of it…my eyes did get a little misty a time or two. (dreamy sigh) What a wonderful memory!

I totally agree.

Ronda, thanks so much for the interview. My readers can find me at my blog – http://mariehiggins84302.blogspot.com or on Facebook.

1 comment:

Phecba said...

Hi my name is Phecba. I just recently created a blog to help get my writing known and puplished. I would love if you came and checked it out!

I would also love some tips on writing as well. Thank you!