Welcome

Welcome to my Writing blog. If you're interested in my comments about "My Favorite Things," my articles for yourLDSneighborhood.com, and Life in general, click here. For a direct link to my website, click rondahinrichsen.com.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

NATIONAL MISSING CHILDREN'S DAY

Today I signed copies of MISSING at the Orem Costco on one of the most appropriate days we have: National Missing Children's Day. This day is held in honor of a six-year-old boy who went missing in 1979 on his first day walking to school "all by himself."

Because this was such an important day, I not only signed MISSING, but I also handed out photocopies of Child Identification Kits that parents could fill out and keep in their home. But as it turned out, today became more of a National Missing Children's Day than I could have ever imagined.

While in Costco, I met two women who've been personally affected by a missing child. One was the sister of Kiplyn Davis, the 15-year-old high school student who was reported missing on May 2, 1995 in Spanish Fork, Utah. The other was the sister of Timothy White, the 5-year-old boy kidnapped with Steven Stayner 30 years ago. 14-year-old Steven, himself a kidnapping victim, had fled with the boy, known as "Timmy," and hitchhiked to safety. He was a victim-turned-hero. Timmy's sister also told me of a spiritual experience their family and friends had during those grueling few days that Timmy was missing, and I couldn't help but not only compare it to my character, Stacie Cox's, "guidance" in her search to find Becka, but also feel grateful--TRUE LIFE grateful--for divine intervention. God is aware of us.

Was it a coincidence that I met these women on National Missing Children's Day? I don't know. But what I do know is today is a day I won't soon forget.

No comments: